Re: Does anyone really enjoy digital photography?

Well while I don't love all of these I don't think you can say ALL of them suck.  Many are quit amazing.  http://fstoppers.com/winners-of-the-2013-iphone-photography-awards-announced

Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2325729/

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Jan Faul <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 24, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Randy Little wrote:

 I always had a camera with me with film also.  Always looking for photo opportunities.   Just because he has no self discretion doesn't mean anything changed. Its stupid to say now that he has a camera always.   If we didn't have a camera always and Profession Owen caught us without it.  Oh the lecturing.  I don't think I have gone anywhere without a camera of some kind since I was 16 years old.    If you are a photographer why wouldn't you always have a camera?   The only difference is in how easy it is to process the result because you don't have to go to a lab.  I still don't want to process 10,000,000 files let a lone track them and remember them and keyword them and on and on.   What it does its let me try things without waiting to see it in the lab.  It lets you experiment instantly and adapt to situations that might not be normal to a persons experiences.   Its like having a zillion pack of 669.   You still only have seconds to know what to do to get the shot for street photography and you still only have minutes to catch the sun in the right spot for a landscape.  You still have to research what month day and hour to be in the desert of New Mexico and scout for the right place to put the camera.    You still have to know stuff.  You still have to have a clue about composition.   You still have to get models, make up artist, stylist Hair and clothing, Prop etc...  You still have to know how to produce a good image.   Painters could say the same things about film photography.   You don't even have to know how to draw.  You could go back even fathers and say.  painters don't even have to know how to make their own paint anymore.    Or graphic designers don't need to know how to do Marker comps anymore.   Its a ridiculously closed minded and short sighted article.    All things progress in all aspects and the previous thing usually doesn't die it just becomes less common.   I see hipsters all over with Nikon FE's and AE1's.  or K1's or x700's

In my home office I have a 4S and five film cameras. The phone has its place, but that’s not in the ‘art’ section. I have more space on the iPhone than on all my film cameras combined, but I do not use it for anything more than taking notes. But, as I said, it has its place, and not having one would make a hole in my notes section. The problem is when I am out and about and get the urge to shoot something memorable, then I have to dig in the back of the car for a more solid film machine, a light meter and the Gitzo. But it’s worth it as then I can either make art or crap, and with the phone it is almost always rubbish.

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
------
Art for Cars: art4carz.com