Susan Sontag Revisited

Narrowly Selective Transparency: Susan Sontag on Photography vs. the Other Arts

by Maria Popova

"Her [Sontag's] thoughts are doubly interesting to revisit decades later, when digital photography has lowered the barrier of entry so much that 'everyone is a photographer,' as the aphorism goes, and as we find ourselves immersed in an ever-flowing stream of digital images flickering before our eyes faster than we’re able to contain them, let alone interpret them, in our minds.

"Today, as the photographic image becomes both more ephemeral...and more inescapably permanent...Sontag’s meditation gets at the heart of what lent photography its increasingly affirmed status as the most powerful and far-reaching communication medium of our time."

Read Popova's article in Brain Pickings, here:

http://bit.ly/N9vSQ8