Re: More GIFs on Parade

This is not discounting the concept of the actual final result, BUT Why anyone would do that as a GIF animation is beyond me.   Not that its not interesting work but I, (or any VFX person) can do that in a proper Visual effects compositing program probably in 1/10 the amount of time as it would take to do this in Photoshop or a GIF editor.  Just because you do it the hard way doesn't make the art better.    Its a big problem we keep running into.   These kids we get today thinking low fi is cool are always trying to find the hardest way to complete their task.     We even have tools that have existed for a very long time called Time Slicing.  I get it in 1996 when these kids where being born GIF was the only way to do animations on the web.   What I don't get is why doing Low Fi flipbooks is all the rage again when tools exist that give the exact same aesthetic result.   This is a movie from 1998.  It will have a different look then the GIF because its supposed to. http://tx-transform.com/Eng/index.html  and

tx transformator

tx-transform, a film technique that was presented at the Diagonale festival in 1999, has been developed further. This time a team consisting of Martin Reinhart and Virgil Widrich is presenting the tx-transformator. This automat, based on the theory of relativity, allows viewers for the first time to modify their perception of the familiar relation between space and time by experiencing time in a transverse flow to their spatial movements. Thereby, an interactive and astonishing new perception is made possible in real time. Hence, the regular sequence of motion is turned upside down: visitors, who keep staying at the same location, are being stretched, abrupt movements are compressed. Limbs are moving away from bodies, heads get unwinded. Behind the tx-transformator's plain design, developed in the former German Democratic Republic (by Robotron 1983), not only a sophisticated technology is hidden, but also an intriguingly simple idea, which can be explored by means of a short video.

The same effect could also be accomplished just by using a slit Scan camera.   Sure conceptually whatever great.   Why one would do this as an animated Gif vs just do it in a video editor where time is controllable and techically is the same exact process but with proper tools is beyond me.   Its not like using a diana or a holga for its flaws. You are getting the same exact result.

(and we could also go back to the original paper flipbook)

Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2325729/