New puter...maybe

In the market for a new Mac. Thinking about the Mini for the port options and price which leaves room to spend on a monitor. Suggestions? Thunderbolt? Cintiq? Anything magical I should know about? I really don't know. I'm sure this is a matter of taste like Nikon v Canon, but I need to start somewhere. I currently have a 2008 iMac 20", but I'm not an Apple blackshirt. I've gone the way of the Wacom, so I'm intrigued by their products. But my knowledge on the matter ends at curiosity.