Re: MOMA in Time

Not to brag, but I shot Polaroids in the studio and on location for 25+ years and I have not been diligent in making sure they are stored correctly because I don’t know what ‘correctly’ is. A couple of years ago I discovered 40 8x10 Polaroids shot in the 1980’s on location (a real pain in  the butt) stored in a filing cabinet in my studio and they looked to be in good shape. As I have a good scanner, I dropped them on the glass and scanned them into fairly big files at 350mb or so. I always knew about the little flaws of Polaroid and wow! Putting them on the Creo (no geared head) brought all that out in spades, and the most glaring are all the tiny bubbles caused during ‘the roll’. I have a Pol of a red church, and to be frank, I wish I had also shot it on Ektachrome even though I did not get it for free. It would have been a right royal pain in the butt, as Pol needed special filtration on the back of the lens inside the camera, getting it out and off.... well perhaps you get the picture. I shot many of the same locations on my RZ, but it’s not the same as a huge piece of film.

When I shot portraits I used 669 Pol and it was different, but I have no better Idea of how to store it either. The Daiai is on that and I hope nitrogen does the trick. Again, not to brag, but somebody told me these are the only Polaroids of the Dalai Lama in existence, and I am as surprised as anybody to hear that. After he won the Nobel prize he was everywhere, but almost always shot on 35mm.

The one thing about digital which really surprises me is that now all digital shots are essentially taken with the same technology. When I go to a photo store of look online for film, there are only about 50 different neg films and there used to be hundreds. I miss the variety,and I guess others do too.

Jan