Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 6427 - art ? no !

On a history level (simplified) I believe that photography put ‘traditional painting’ at its time of invention (mid/late 19th century) out of business.  The outcome was the ascend of the ‘impressionists’ and quite all of what came after until the present day, resulting in more individual and abstract images - except for some movements that tried to recreate photo-realism.

I certainly agree with the notion that today photography is mostly equivalent with “happily snapping away with an iPhone” - or whatever else.  From what I’ve heard there have been more pictures taken in the last year or so than in the whole history of photography before. I don’t doubt that.  Social networks are the name of the game today and nobody seems to care about quality. On the same level:  CD audio quality is still on the same level as in the 1980s.  Nobody buys CDs anymore, but rather listens to compressed files of lesser quality on itunes ...

However, all of that does not change one fact:  A “great picture” is a “great picture” - no matter if it is done in oil, watercolor, acrylics or as a photograph. Photography just added another dimension to the game. Does it still receive proper appreciation?

Just my humble opinion,

Klaus