Re: Differences fo opinion

No matter where you go, there is almost always some place, often a bar room, where the center of interest is two guys with their opinions, shouting back and forth at each other about some subject, bringing in new items to back their arguments, yelling at bystanders who happen to make some point related to the arguments, making generalizations that especially disparage people who do things differently compared to the way they did things some time ago.  In the process, no observation goes unpunished, and no punishment goes unobserved.  Past accomplishments are trundled out as proof of the validity of the arguments whether there is any logic or not as to the relationship to the arguments.

When an unmoderated forum devolves into such rants, it proves the point that a free society is logically not possible because it permits its destroyers to function freely.

What does all this mean for photography, you ask?  Just this.  I think that Tina Manley's photograph of the children has tones that are simply beautiful.  Period.  If we talk about the balance between the pig on the left and the girl at far right or anything else, it would be just formal mumbling.  If you want to inject political/social implication, that would be personal opinion, which you could either go to a bar to argue or make a statement and let it be.  Someone else might make a different statement, but as far as an unmoderated forum is concerned, the accepted rule is: one statement per person with no winners or losers.

As for my own photograph, I should have said again as I did last week that I am still experimenting with tones while working only with a digital capture.  I'm still working to make it a better image but that's besides the point at this time.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Andrew Sharpe <asharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You guys are just a font of wisdom.

Andrew