Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 6416 - GREETINGS

Happy New Year - guys/girls all.

I've seen a lot in photography in my years from age 15 to 71.  I started with a folding 120 6 x 6 Kodak, see-saw developing the roll film in an open tray in the dark.  Then progressed to 35 mm developed in a plastic reel tank, then got a stainless steel one, the height of sophistication.  Printing I did - the thrill of my first 20" x 16"; color printing, yup, did that - remember Cibachrome ?

Cameras came and went - an Italian "Leica" Kristall R, then real Leicas IIIb, (uncoated Elmar), IIIc, IIIg, M2/M3, and a Nikkormat, 2&1/4 square, etc., and so with the march of time I eventually I arrived at my first Panasonic digital - wow, 640 x 480 pixels, still have it, stupendous resolution indeed.

Now it's 8 million pixels in a Nexus 5 phone, plus even more in a truly light and pocketable Canon IXUS 500 - my shoulder is truly thankful to loose the weight of a Bronica. I longed for a Hasselblad, but could never afford one then, 30 years back, now I can, but don't.

But I'm not looking back all that much - what next ? - perhaps a Nokia 1020 with, golly gosh, all of 41 million of these little blighters the pixels, more resolution than 35 mm film I believe.

Oh brave new world, that has such wonders in it !

So happy New Year indeed, may you all live in interesting times.

Dan Mitchell
danmdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx