RE: Speak, Memory!

At 7:37 AM -0700 12/11/13, Paladin wrote:
Although I disagree with several aspects of Henkel's original research design, her conclusions are well thought out. Read her abstract at <http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/12/04/0956797613504438.abstract>http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/12/04/0956797613504438.abstract to find out her actual conclusions. I think you will find that the actual take home lesson from the article is: take LOTS of pictures, but review them when you get home, or something like that.

Given that most people never look critically at the thousands of images they collect, I suspect the results as presented at first are actually correct.

Most people are from moment to moment either participants or voyeurs. They don't realize they're choosing one or the other when they whip out their cell phones for a selfie, but in actuality once you place something between your concentration and the object you've come to concentrate on, your focus shifts to the something, and your participation in the concentration also. The iPhone becomes the something.

And you remember the iPhone.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx