Durer

I have just uploaded a small 4x5 print by Albrecht Dürer to the gallery. Perhaps it will show up at some point.

What makes this print interesting is that on the obverse, there is a crayon sketch of a street scene by an unknown artist, and as the front was printed 500 years ago, the back must be from the same time period. I don;t see it as a camera lucida drawing, but it might have assisted the artist with the composition.

Jan

On Aug 6, 2013, at 10:20 AM, Ken Sinclair wrote:

John,

There is a book titled 'Vermeer's Camera' wherein the author Philip Steadman
has offered (via diagrams.. and, having had built the 'sets' with the UK's BBC
research staff for a television program, provided a rather strong argument
that Vermeer actually used a camera obscura as a basis for a large number his paintings.

It is a good read, well written.

Ken

On 2013-08-06, at 3:56 AM, John Palcewski <palcewski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"The painter Johannes Vermeer is known for his incredible treatment of
light and the near-photorealism of his 17th-century scenes. How did he
do it without the use of a camera, which was invented some 150 years
later?"

My vote goes to the camera obscura, which of course predated photography

Rest of the disappointingly short and information-free article here:

 http://bit.ly/13VnxAL

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
------