Re: file numbering systems

On 2013-06-21 21:38, Jan Faul wrote:

> Always the weird one, I also began scanning contact sheets in the early 1990’s, and eventually hired an archivist of sorts who got down and dirty with the film and slides and created what is today a couple of 25GB files of all rolls,  plus another 15 GB of slide scans where we invented a way to scan both the mounts for text and the film superimposed over them to get full documentation. Contact sheets are scanned at 300dpi in case we need to send somebody a sample file of a single frame.

I figured out that I could put a page of negatives on a flatbed scanner
and make a digital contact sheet directly.  Early scanners had full-page
transparency adapters at much lower levels, I had to go up to an Epson
V700 to get what I wanted there when my previous one lost OS support.

> I discovered a 3-ring clamshell binder from Lineco for film and slides and now own an absolutely appalling number of them. They were about $10 each and so we put everything in binders until I kick and they all leave for UMBC along with my voluminous notes. (If you’re reading this Tom, save some space.) I also have a couple of thousand slides from Henry Faul (not the one woking in CO in the 1850’s) color negs of Europe from my mother and 554 glass plate negs from my great-grandfather. It’s a pretty big collection for an individual, although to be honest it apparently isn’t worth all that much.

I use those, or something very like them...the only name I find is
"WorkBox" on the clamshell ones.  These other, squarer, ones say
"Besfile by Besseler".

> Maybe art4carz will finally allow me to make it worth something as I’m putting really strange images on cars for folks. TOday I sold a wrap of the Nevada Test Site’s Frenchman Flat bunkers from shot Priscilla (Morgan) on my 12th birthday in 1957. Weird.

Good luck with it!  And that's an amusing / weird choice, yeah.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info