Re: digital art issues.

I would never expect windows to read those files.   They have to be saved correctly to be compatible with the OS.   Someone might have not have had comparability on when they saved them.   If you don't then PS doesn't save a full size proxy which is what the OS reads.   Ever had a file that you can see but then can't open?   Its because the OS can read the proxy and not the rest of the file.    There are a zillion file formats that no os will read.   These are called intermediate formats and are not designed to be read by the OS.    Painter RIFF files aren't readable by anything other then painter at all.  Archive and delivery formats like EXR, DPX, DCS eps, PDF and many others have very stricked and open standards.

Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2325729/