RE: Question on humidity tightness of film canisters

Not good but you can get silica and a box and let the silica de humidify.  The test a role.  Be carefull as the silica could over dry if you use to much a dry out the gelatin.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: Kostas Papakotas <clenchedteethphotography@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 06/11/2013 1:31 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Question on humidity tightness of film canisters

hi all1!

I have a question on the humidity tightness of film canisters. Not waterproofness, but humidity proofness.

here is my situation.
Few days ago we had a case of molten ice in our fridge. Water was everywhere including around my stored films.

My storage methods is this.
Each film is in a cannister with a label on top and one in the bottom (place to keep notes on)
Film cannsiters are kept in tupperware like containers
All the containers are kept ina folded over plastic bag

So what I found when I opened the containers was moisture effects on some of the TOP labels, spoiled ink of the parmenent markers writting in particular. this was on top of the film cannisters, no signs of moisture were observed on the bottom labels nor inside the cannisters (paper labels were good).

Since the top labels were very close to the lid bottom I am considering the condesation possibility, since the tupperwares were left out of the fridge for a day till we sorted the issue out.

To cut it short. Am I to fear there has been increased humidity inside the film cannisters to affect the film itself?
I am worried cos this is a stock of hard to find (and expensive) films

thanks, Kostas