Re: B&W vs. Color

This post, including stuff from Brian Eno, Andrew Sullivan, Marshall McLuhan, and John Palcewski, reminds me of Pete Seeger when he sang a song based on the German text "Die Gedanken sind frei"  translated as "Thoughts are free".

My point here is that not only thoughts, but opinions as well are as free and as plentiful as water and air.  Anyone can express an opinion; the more skillful the opinion makers are, the better at making them sound right.

It happens especially when reasonable opinions in one realm are applied to other realms.  Note the use of "the reason is. . ." by Eno.  His grade on this submission?. . . D+ with a comment to examine his premises more carefully before drawing conclusions from them.

Let's not spread stuff like that.  'Nuff said.

  -yoram

On May 5, 2013, at 6:34 AM, John Palcewski wrote:

> Here's a bit from Andrew Sullivan's blog this morning that explains
> why black and white images convey emotions (or sexual desire) more
> powerfully than does color.
>
> In an old interview from 1974, musician Brian Eno expounds on his
> pornography collection:
>
>    One theory is that black-and-white photography is always more sexy
> than colour photography. The reason for this is provided by Marshall
> McLuhan, who points out that if a thing is ‘high definition,’ which
> colour photography is, it provides more information and doesn’t
> require participation as much as if it is ‘low definition’.” I.e. a
> horror play on the radio is always very, very frightening because the
> imagery is always your own. If you’re choosing your own imagery,
> you’ll always choose the most frightening, or in the case of
> pornography, the most sexual.
>
> http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/05/04/putting-yourself-in-the-scene/

___
ygelmanphoto@xxxxxxxxx