http://www.retorta.net
https://www.facebook.com/retorta
http://twitter.com/retorta

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jan Faul <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I sometimes think PF would be good on Skype.

On Mar 18, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Don Roberts wrote:

Does anyone else get nostalgic reading this discussion?  I love it.
Don

On 3/18/13 11:13 AM, RsLittle wrote:
Well I dont fault yoram, but I know I had to take a class on basically how to critique art.  When comments show an ill informed opinion by making statements as if you know better.   Rather then statements of opinion.   Statements that show a lack of photo history and technique.i migh not say what Jan said. Or I might.  Either way what Jan said has a blunt direct truth in it.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03/18/2013 8:53 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A difference of Opinion

>Yes, Yoram is entitled to his opinion,

bloody oath he is, they're his eyes and it's his mind,  anyone who puts
anything out in public is doing so with the full knowledge that people see
through the filter of their own dogma and experience.   There's no point
getting all bent out of shape when someone doesn't see things the way the
creator intended.. that's just life.  Heck, I've been known to send back
restaurant meals that don't mention they include coriander (cilantro).

The fact that Yoram chose to hare his opinions should be considered a good
thing, it's not long we have a dearth of reviews normally.  If Yoram was a
paying customer, I'd be happier he told me precisely what he thought rather
than going with another photographer.. so maybe there is something in his
comments that people *can* take away with them... even 'I don't like it" is
a good starting place to learn what it is he is seeing/not seeing.

I gave a student a low mark, and before I had a chance to explain they blew
up, defending the image and trying to confer how much time, how much care
they'd put into it...  my criticism was the pole protruding from the head of
the subject.  They hadn't seen it.  Sure, basic mistake for ME, not so to
them as their eyes saw some elements of the image and not others.  Mine saw
differently.

One could argue that Yoram, by putting his opinion out in public should be
just as accepting of criticism, but criticizing the critic is poor form to
me - in a collegial environment a negative comment might be viewed as
opening a dialogue (which is what I see happening ;)

..I've heard it said one can learn as much about the critic as the object of
their criticism if they look hard.

I don't generally criticize intent or creative merits here, restricting
myself to what *I* see as technical faults.. but that's my choice.  I view
'art' as the process of a craftsman anyway, a chair, a sculpture, a photo, a
piece of music..

(not a Bieblieber)

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints