Re: Faux Phoenix Process? - a word from Andy

I forgot exactly what my procedure was but I went through the following steps and it looks pretty much like what I did.

The "process" started with Polaroid type 667 peel apart film. It produces a paper positive. The model is lying on a black velvet background. And lit from several locations to give "weird" lighting. The positive is given to the subject in the case of Polaroid if she wants it. But the process starts with the paper negative. In this the tones are reversed and the image becomes solarized especially if the pos and neg are separated early in the full development cycle. This negative is opaque and low in contrast. When copied onto Polagraph, a high contrast positive Polaroid 35 mm film (no longer available) it "adjusts" for these two factors. It makes a normal looking negative (a positive of the paper negative) that can be printed in a traditional manner in an enlarger (remember those?). I called it the Phoenix Process because the resulting images were often much more appealing than  the original positive images. Cute, eh?

With the demise of these Polaroid materials I was talked into making a digital version. The original is a normal B&W digital original (or a grayscale version of the color image) (although I have often also just left the color "in" so to speak). The B&W positive is inverted in Photoshop. It is then "solarized". This reveals the "Mackie lines" associated with the solarization (more properly Sabattier). Inverted again and levels adjusted. Finally spot retouching, etc. and voila one has this particular effect. As I look at this maybe I could have proceeded in a different way .... maybe you can think of a shortcut.

Anyway, you can find the visual step by step at this URL:

Hope you find it useful or if not then at least of interest!

Andy

PS: I think I explained the step by step method that I use without errors. But no guarantees! If you find an error let's talk about it!