Re: Death of Documentary Photography?

A few days ago in Sri Lanka, my brother described my 3-year old son with the phrase, "When reality doesn't meet his expectations, he abandons it entirely." Not sure if he was quoting another, but it's become my most recent mantra and I happily apply such perspective to photojournalism and street photography. However, I would be quick to disagree that documentary photography is so fettered, unless, of course, you're documenting what your camera sees while your eyes are closed...but even still. There is no feeling in truth, it's simply a necessary derivative for human perception. For example, recommend a historical text, worth reading, that does not speculate on human character or emotion.

Consider the drunkard recently run-down by a subway train in New York recently. Which reality was captured by that image? Which reality was the topic of conversation? Whose horror did its audience share?