Re: PF members photographs on 15/12/2012

1400 x 1050 px is a good size. Use 72ppi and then squash them with jpeg
compression. I have downloaded a few pic I posted to Craig's list and they
come out like 37 kb and still look decent. I can't figure out how  they do
it.
Roy

They and many other sites simply use a compression level around 80%

A bitmap and a jpeg at 100% are the same size in Mb give or take a bit here or there - which is no surprise since a jpeg is just a compressed bitmap, akin to a zip file but with more smarts allowing you to decide which colours are 'near enough' to run them together.

A bitmap or a jpeg at 1000 ppi and the same bitmap or jpeg at 1 ppi (or even no pixels per inch) will be the same size.. and they will also display at the same size in nearly every browser since ppi (dpi) means nothing to a browser, it's a function of printing - browsers just display the pixels present.. if it's 1000 x 10 that's what you get to see and your monitor resolution decides how big it looks to you viewing it.

Specifying a restricted limit on size is still a good thing as : A. not all the world has fast interwebs; B. it encoiurages people to think about how size actually works; C. it stops people from viewing an image in Photoshop that's 3x4" on their screen and sending it in as-is thinking 'there, that should look nice!' (while the guy on the receiving end has hysterics when the 34,000 x 45,333 at 10,000 dpi image comes down the pipe and the 4 Tb image eats their drives)

In a message dated 12/23/2012 5:34:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,