Re: PF members exhibit on 07-28-12

At 8:26 AM -0400 7/28/12, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated July 28, 2012. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

             Emily Ferguson - The Elizabeth Islands on a still day

Thanks for the positive comments.

             D.L. Shipman - D.

Reminiscent of Karsh's Hemingway. I do think I would open it up a bit - there is something discomfitting about the model's left eye.

             John Palcewski - Piccola Roso

A very wide range of brightnesses makes this situation very difficult and the lack of a sense of direction makes the image not work for me. I would add more headspace and a little more on the R side and get rid of some on the bottom and open up the shadow on the petal on the bottom of the flower a bit.

             Lea Murphy - Edyn

I'm having a lot of trouble with the internal logic of this set-up. Why is the little girl sitting on the sidewalk in a best dress with her hair all done up? She would, logically to me, be wearing rompers and have a smudge or even scrape on her face from playing in a place like that. And what is the function of the Tonka Toy in front of her when she's all dressed up for a photo shoot and not for play? And if she's playing, why is she not smiling or looking like she's having fun? Her eyes look either very posed or a little unwilling to cooperate. And where are her legs?

             Rene M Hales - Looking Out/Looking In

I agree with some of the other comments that there's some amount of brightness imbalance between the model and the reflection. The reflection does seem too hot. In addition there seems to be a bit too much on top of the reflection's head. I think I would crop some more off of the top. Finally, there's no metaphorical expression of the "looking in" part. The model is simply staring without putting out any feeling one way or the other.

             Yoram Gelman - Street Seller

The other day I met a vet who had lost many of his teeth - an American vet from the Iraq or Kuwait era. He did, however, have a very modern prosthetic lower leg. This image brings to my mind the same dismay I felt when I met him - that the common necessities of decent health care have failed both these folks. As for the internal logic of the image, the title seems to imply that the woman is selling something. It would be more successful, in my opinion, if there were evidence of that.

             Christopher Strevens - she sleeps

Every once in a while Chris stumbles upon an image so true that we forget that he's not doing it on purpose.

             Rand Flory - Classic Machu Picchu

Presumably Rand doesn't want us to address the technical weaknesses of his submission! But I will say if he really wants it to be "classic" there ought to be a middle aged, slightly overweight, joyously smiling, middle class couple clutching their politically correct water bottles in the foreground!

             Bob McCulloch - Rehoboth Beach Scene

The heavy cyan tonalities in the sky, along with the mustardy yellow sand, cause me to wonder whether some further adjustment of the color isn't needed here. I do like the balance between the beach grass area and the overcast sky, and the crop seems just fine to me.

             Trevor Cunningham - dick dale

That big steel plate is a bear, and his bald pate adds to the problem. I guess I'd really tone them down. The guitar pegs are completely blown out and blooming as well - a good indicator that work really needs to be done here. I wish he looked like he was having fun but I know from years of watching this sort of gig that even when they're having fun their concentration outshines their joy most of the time. The image brings to my mind Kostas' myriad efforts to shoot great images in this environment. He doesn't put in many appearances here any more, sadly, but he might have something to add to my thoughts.

Thanks to all. Remember, Andy's in Buda-Pest and probably speaking one of the most unusual languages humans have ever created right this very moment, so we have a couple weeks to weight in on our thoughts about the gallery!

So weigh in.

And send him something in a couple weeks when he's on his way back to the US of A.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx