Re: PF exhibit today 07-21-12

Hi Forum Members,

Here are my personal comments about the gallery found at
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html:

Emily L. Ferguson - Need some help, there?
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery/ferguson.html

This has good composition and it is a pretty interesting shot. The title would made a bit more sense had the gentleman on the left not been looking at the camera but rather looking at the person holding the camera. Perhaps a bit of a white balance tweak would reduce the red from what seems to be incandescent lighting.

Bob McCulloch - Antique Shop
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery/mcculloch.html

In many ways I like this photo. There is excellent detail in the shadows, there is nothing blown out, the composition and the subject are pretty well done; EXCEPT for that noisome leafless, branching object in the center of the image. That item kind of ruins the photo for me. The branches compete for attention with the sign behind it. Perhaps a slight change in angle from which the photograph was taken would have helped. I don't think I would be so distracted if the branches competed with only the door in the background.

Yoram Gelman - Two Women
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery/gelman.html

For me there is too much foreground. The photo title is "Two Women." Personally that is what interests me about the photo and I would like to see them more clearly. The strong vertical background for the women is intriguing. The red painted pillar beside the women also add a bit of interest, although not nearly to the degree of the background. The bench and feet are wonderful. The stone/cement in the bottom quarter of the image are superfluous to the point of being distracting--especially given their lighter tones.

If the focus could stand it, I would love to see this image cropped a bit to highlight the Two Women.

Andrew Davidhazy - Leaping setter
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery/davidhazy.html

There is a lot to like about this photo. The action of the setter is superb. Selecting only one shot of Sue is, at least in my opinion, the correct choice. I suspect that multiple human images would have added more confusion than clarity. The resultant image works very well.

What about the "ethics" of removing the pier pole? My personal opinion is that if a photograph is made for photojournalistic purposes, that would have been wrong. News photos [should] exist to show reality as best it can be portrayed in a photo.

Fine art photos should be manipulated to suit the image the artist wants presented, whatever that image happens to be. The addition or deletion of objects is fine if it enhances the image and helps to complete the artist's vision.

This photograph lies somewhere in between photojournalism and fine art. It is almost a scientific study of animal action. But since it serves mainly to demonstrate a concept the artist wishes to show about the wonderful movement of the setter, I think that the removal of a pole AND the deliberate decision not to include two frames of the setter are actions that remarkable increase the resultant clarity of action, although it fails to demonstrate the rapid change in forward velocity instituted by the friction of the water.

The result in this case is an amazing pictorial display.

And I REALLY appreciate the included explanation of changes. It is difficult to criticize someone's actions when a full public disclosure of artistic changes are made. While someone could disagree with the artistic decisions, no one can complain about undisclosed alterations.

Many thanks to Andy (especially for his artistic contribution) and his staff to putting this group of images on display. This week was a most interesting forum!

rand