thoughts?

a number of years back a former student sent me an image asking what I thought. It was a landscape, a bit empty in the middle, but I can see anyone who might have stood in front of suc a vista might have wanted to capture it. The foreground grass looked a bit ugly with daggy looking dead bits and while the fence was typically rustic, it was an imperfection that detracted from the beauty behind it. It was either the fence or the landscape, but the two together competed. I suggested they be cropped and the image be handled more as a panorama than a standard proportioned landscape. The light on the distant mountains was captivating - I was surprised this student hadn't gone over the top in photoshop cranking up the colours and pushing the image toward the surreal as he was prone to doing..

I asked him where he shot it..

He emailed back saying no, he'd just downloaded Belnder and spent 20 minutes learning how to use it, and the pic he sent was the first image he'd been happy with.. I felt a fool, but the realism was there.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/15/photographers-youre-being-replaced-by-software/