Re: PF members exhibit o April 07, 2012

At 10:13 PM -0400 4/7/12, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated April 7, 2012. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

               Rene M Hales - SHE ~ Father's Shoes

Interesting, sort of static. i think the distance between the feet and the shoes is too great. The DOF is fine, the shoes are nice and sharp, but there's no urgency between the feet and shoes. I suspect as the project accumulates, this will be a good introductory sort of image.

               Bob Sull - Feeding Frenzy

I do love doing jigsaw puzzles of images like this one. A couple thousand pieces could keep a family of 4 busy for a good part of Christmas vacation! Colorful, repetitive, a bit on the fearsome side. Fun.

               Don Roberts - Street Musician

That back lighting isn't doing you any favor, and I feel for the musician not having one of those wire holders that goes around the neck for the harmonica. Some motion blur in the drumstick probably would have helped a lot.

               Christopher Strevens - 99

Chris' ongoing, if a bit raw, recording of his mother's aging has a commonness about it that simultaneously fails to tug at our heartstrings and yet has a certain value. It provides a window into a world that all of us may visit and the very ordinaryness of that place.

               Dan Mitchell - Easter

Not particularly springy or Easter-y. The image seems too crowded, not in the oppressive way of religion but more in the way of modern urban life. Still the image does not resonate in any particular way for me.

               Trevor Cunningham - stranded

Trevor, you live in such a different world. Is that a camel by the beach? How close does a small boy dare get to a camel? And what here is stranded?

               Sherie Taylor - Sunset at Santa Monica Pier

Sherie, it's time for you to wait for good sunsets. This is a most ordinary one and not worth shooting, to me. You don't get many possible evenings - the fog and weather gets in your way, but I think you need to practice being a lot more selective at this point.

There are other photographs in there - but it's time for you to get in close, add some technical skills with slow shutter speeds, try out some angles other than the one where your eyes are when you stand up, and dig deeper. This is just another shot with too much undifferentiated data - big empty sky, empty water, and a tantalizing ferris wheel practically over where it's almost irrelevant.

               Emily Ferguson - Chesapeake and Ohio Canal at Harpers Ferry

I have been scanning very old film, from way before I thought I might be any sort of photographer, and this is one of those pieces. It has some nice lines, and a sense of vista, but I was not yet mature enough in seeing to quite figure that I'd better get that huge tunnel hole there too! Still, to me it has some assets and I thought I'd share them with you this week.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx