RE: 10 Photographers You Should Ignore

Actually I am more inclined to reject the concept of ignoring anyone, especially many of those.  Now that doesn't mean my work will be anything like theres or would I want it to be, but there is something that can be learned from nearly anyone.  In fact that is probably why most of us are here.  We learn from the comments of work in the gallery.  We learn from comments on why those that put work in the gallery did what they did in creating that work.

Too many though try to copy the style of Ansel Adams.  Franky I think that is a mistake even if you are successful.    You might go to the exact same spot in Yosemite and get almost the exact same photo with the same techniques, but the world already has the work of St Ansel.  What has the world or you gained?  Now taking St Ansel's understanding of light, pondering his thoughts, using them in a way that fits your particular work style (and the zone system was set up for how Ansel worked) and creating your own work that utilizes what he taught in your own way, well I would say that if you missed that by ignoring the work of Ansel Adams its your loss.  Having seen several of his original prints in person in galleries, I'd still say it was your loss missing the work anyway.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: 10 Photographers You Should Ignore
From: asharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, April 04, 2012 1:32 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Absolutely tongue-in-cheek. Of course, but telling everyone to ignore
them, they will do just the opposite.

I will say, however, that wired is one of the top annoying sites; every
page takes 8 seconds to load all the tweet, google+, linkedIn counts,
twitter follows and facebook likes. And of course, it keeps reformatting
the page as it does this, so you can't touch the page while it is busily
updating all the extremely important crap.

Andrew