Re: Animal

Sir Andrew...

The character who was 'known' as "Animal" was indeed a photographer.. and he seemed to favour the Nikon F2 (if my memory serves me well enough, he was a bearded photo- journalists who was somewhat "outside the stream" of dress that was favoured by his fellow
workers at the newspaper.

I might guess that that was back in the early to mid seventies... at a time when I too drove around photographing a great many farmers in the agricutural community to record 'the way of the farmer' All way across the country for the Federal Department of Agriculture. I too dressed in jeans and demim or chequerd shirt carrying an F2 (with motor drive). When that programme was "eliminated" I transferred to the local Research Centre (where I spent the next 20 years or so) making photographs of diseased plants, bacterial and fungal cultures, insects (dead and alive) gels, autoradiographs.. photo- micrographs, transmission and scanning electron micrographs, passport/visa and ID photos by the hundreds, hand- coloured lith slides by the thousands, poster sessions etc by the dozen.... and so on....

I must admit I (kind of) miss the work... and the appreciation of the individual scientists for whom I produced the best I could.... but I do NOT miss the stress of having the to numerous 10 to 14 hour days
to meet the demands for 'service'.

Ken

(and still bearded.... after some 45 years)