Re: smoke drops?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Cunningham" <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 3:23 AM
Subject: smoke drops?

any thoughts? cancer?

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/smoke-drops/

smoke, vapor - you'd need to know what this actually is before drawing any conclusions. 'smoke' is a pretty vague term too - the airborne sub 10 micron particulates that cause "black lung" can occur invisibly in some combustion processes that no one would call 'smoke' -

CO2 dropped into water produces a similar looking mist.. nothing more than a water/CO2 vapour, not as convenient to carry in the poicket as this stuff, but harmless.

pop ammonia solution and hydrochloric acid together and you will get a vapor - actually it's probably what this stuff is. Mildly toxic, but certainly not carcinogenic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYUCtpRDep4

for those interested in cancers, considering the lungs are a warm, moist bag inside us that takes in every bit of dust, mould, sand, bacteria, bits of hair etc we breath in, the guy arguing lungs are a breeding ground for cancer causing diseases holds more merit to me than the guy saying some water soluble smoke may cause it (we evolved around fires, unlike every other animal)

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/99feb/germs.htm (in 3 parts)*

even asthma is getting some reviewed scrutiny in light of lung disease observations (preumonia being suggested as the culprit)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110523121313.htm

and the brawl over sun exposure is far from over..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2072377/Keeping-sun-bringing-rickets-cases-increase-fivefold-14-years.html

*"Ewald is fond of quoting from a 1972 edition of a classic medical textbook:
"The most likely forecast about the future of infectious disease is that it
will be very dull." At least in the developed world, infectious diseases no
longer seemed very threatening. Far scarier were the diseases that the
medical world said were not infectious: heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and
so on. ..

The infectious age is, we now know, far from over. Furthermore, it appears
that many diseases we didn't think were infectious may be caused by
infectious agents after all. .. "By guiding researchers down one path,
Koch's postulates directed them away from alternate ones. Researchers were
guided away from diseases that might have been infectious but had little
chance of fulfilling the postulates."   That is, just because we couldn't
readily discover their cause, we rather arbitrarily decided that the
so-called chronic diseases of the late twentieth century must be hereditary
or environmental or "multifactorial.(ie, wee don't know) " And, Ewald
contends, we have frequently been wrong.

latest too is the observations that around 90% of those who contract stomach cancer has stomach uncurs.. something we now now is caused purely by bacteria.