Re: Lightroom stuck and won't open

"The main disadvantage of 64-bit architectures is that relative to 32-bit architectures the same data occupies more space in memory (due to swollen pointers and possibly other types and alignment padding). This increases the memory requirements of a given process and can have implications for efficient processor cache utilization. Maintaining a partial 32-bit model is one way to handle this and is in general reasonably effective. In fact, the highly performance-oriented z/OS operating system takes this approach currently, requiring program code to reside in any number of 32-bit address spaces while data objects can (optionally) reside in 64-bit regions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

What a system *can* do and what it needs to do a task is sometimes quite different. Opening a 14Mb image I see it occupies 15Mb of RAM (it's a TIF).. so 66 open images would use roughly a gig of ram - that's having them open and loaded in RAM and not just having them cataloguing or being referenced, but actually open..

on my 32bit system I can easily see how much ram is being used ..

Irfanview uses a mere 4Mb of RAM

photoshop 6 uses 31Mb of RAM

foxit pdf viewer eats 6Mb of my RAM

Adobe Acoread (last version I had installed) used 46Mb of RAM (and swelled the longer it was open)

Quicktime, Realplayer, iTunes **    ..don't even go there

still, with all these open I have buckets of RAM free out of my 4Gb. Even with 47 IE tabs open I'm only using 325 Mb of RAM (80 of the same tabs open + more in Opera sees roughly 400Mb of RAM used.. youtube clips included and playing) and that coupled with my 66 images open I have 1259Mb of RAM free, with winamp playlist of 300 songs playing music

open up another 84 images to work on and I'd guess my swapfile would start getting a bit of use.. Actually if anyone wants to see hardcore ram consumption have a look at an architect working a 3D model of a ten story building with all the fittings and junk drawn in - now that seriously needs some ram!

control+alt+delete tells a windows user how much RAM each program is using.

**and others are ghastly consumers of memory - and the sort of things that should definately be removed from startup. Actually that's the biggest problem I experience cleaning up other people's PC's - all the junk they load to RAM at startup. No one needs Acrobat, MS Office, Realtime, Quicktime, Nero, iTunes, Canon/Lexmark/Nikon camerra or printer interfaces loaded at startup, all they do is eat RAM for no good reason other than to be there and ready to appear fast off the mark when the user clicks the system tray icon to launch the thing.. it's not launching, it already launched at startup and it's been sitting in the background hogging resources ever since! It's far better to launch them when they're needed and put them to bed when they're not.

----- Original Message ----- From: <PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: Lightroom stuck and won't open

Updating  myself.
On a 32 bit machine Photoshop 7.0 and CS3 can access 2 Gigs. A 32 bit
Photoshop program running on a 64 bit machine can access 3 Gigs. With CS4, the first 64 bit Photoshop program Photoshop can access as much as your OS can.
Roy

In a message dated 1/14/2012 12:01:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,