Re: Stock photography sites

Well, you can't sell someone else's photos to a stock site so they gotta be yours. I'm being cheeky there but I'm not clear on what you mean by 'selling our own'...do you mean handling the sale yourself? If so, you can do it.

Some 200 of my images were used for several licensing projects some years back. I had an agent in the beginning who handled the contract negotiations. She eventually left the licensing company and I was kind of upended when some of these contracts came up for renewal but I just went through them line by line, compared the new contracts to the old and handled them myself without an agent or lawyer and they have continued to be very lucrative for me.

If you have images you're wanting to use to generate income I say go for it.

Granted, stock is different than licensing but some things to be aware of:

that you retain copyright
how does the site handle derivative use
exclusivity to a particular stock site
term of contract