Re: Creative Commons

On Fri, December 2, 2011 10:56, Gregory wrote:
> In searching for a presence on the internet, I found this 501(c)
> organization. It's called Creative Commons allowing members to offer their
> work under various licenses. You can access the website here;
> http://creativecommons.org/
>
> Has anyone heard or know anything about this site?

Wow; somebody just hearing about Creative Commons for the first time just
now?  I'm kinda surprised.

Yes, they're very well known.  Wikipedia for example uses their licensing
terms as the standard.  They're one of the licensing choices in the Flickr
drop-downs, too.  They're front and center in the IP discussion.

(Note that what they're doing is trying to provide licenses that
accomplish various things people want done, within the current legal IP
framework.)

I've released a number of my photos under CC terms (I mostly use
CC-BY-SA), and it's those photos that I think are most likely to still
exist 50 years after I'm dead.  I've even sold usage rights in a book to
an image I'd put up under CC license; the author found it on Wikipedia.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info