Re: Color management

On 2011-11-30 19:29, Herschel Mair wrote:
I must write a course outline on color management. I'd like to know what
y'all think should be in it (Prioritize please) and what you think
should be left out. Also any books you regard as essential reading on
the subject.

Is this for Photoshop artists (or photographers)? As opposed to printers or software engineers or various other groups?

I'm not sure there's anything like a course worth of material there; my first thought is it could be covered in half a day of a general Photoshop introduction. Unless it's a much more advanced course than I'm imagining (in which case I'm not the person to advise on content).

Here's what I'd do:

1. Color-managed workflow: use a proper profile on each input and display device, and things will come out reasonably okay at the end. Don't expect insane levels of perfection. Then the file represents "real" colors and each device does the best it can.

2.  Photoshop settings

3.  Using the monitor profiling equipment.

4. (if needed) how to use the printer profiling equipment; otherwise, Cathy's Profiles :-).

5. Soft-proofing (light introduction). Revisit in more detail in each more advanced class.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info