Re: PF members exhibit on 11/19/11

At 3:23 PM -0500 11/19/11, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated NOV 19, 2011. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

                John Palcewski - Laughter

Amazing how close the laughing face is to the crying face. For that reason, I don't feel any particular joy coming out of the image.

This photo makes me wonder what tests psychologists have done with infants and facial expression response.

                Robert G. Earnest - Montana

Heavily weighted to the top. Not my idea of a good solution. Would like to see the noise in the camera at that ISO too.

                Don Roberts - Chichen Itza

Just slightly tilting to the left and too small to tell whether the photoshopping actually enhances the image. You have a lot of lines - did you experiment with the myriad ways you could arrange them?

                Trevor Cunningham - all saints day

Strange steering wheel! Must come from some eastern asian brand of car! I think it would benefit from being less dark. But I like the hold on the texture.

                Michael Hughes - Autumn Evening at Ranworth Broad

Too much darkness at the bottom. It looks like the area above the brightness might be interesting. Did you try lowering the horizon to reveal what was up there? Also, makes me feel like I'm sliding to the left.

                Don Draper - Railings

The pattern is very interesting, especially with the blown-out highlights adding to it, but the overall softness doesn't help, in my opinion. And, as with two other images this week, the levelness leaves something to be desire.

                Sherie Taylor - The Light

Using lens aberration patterns can sometimes, but not very often, be an asset. Most of the time they steal attention from the subject of the image or look like the photographer didn't know any better.

Stopping down to your smallest possible aperture might help here, if you have a tripod, or using the tree line to break up the direct splat of sunlight into your lens. Shooting into the sun is tricky. Go do it a bunch and study the results and try to imagine what would improve them. Then go back out and do it some more using what you're decided would make an improvement.

Thanks to all, as always.  Especially the Seattle bound andyelf.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx