Re: the Next Big Thing

I predict this will not happen. Hard drives will always be accessible. Why? 1) Because there will be a need to do so and there will be a few old computers saved as museum pieces  until an enterprising person sets up a business.  Bring your old hard drive to my store and I will set you up in a booth to view them and if you want prints of particular pictures just press button "A" to order.    You will pay for time (just like Kinko booths for accessing the Internet now) and prints (available in many sizes too!). Another person might set up a business that lets you send them the hard drive and you can view it online for a fee etc.(I'm too old to start collecting old computers and old OS plus software but Karl you might think about keeping some old computer around and expand your business someday)
2) the second reason is that hard drives are large in total number compared to other media.. (Gee I wish I had a working Jaz drive to see what I have on my ten or so 1GB disks)
Also hard drives hold more pictures per drive especially as capacity grows. I was looking at a WD Green 3T drive, 5400 rpm Sata/300  in Best Buy yesterday and it was $154.95.  A WD Black 2T drive 7200 rpm Sata/unknown transfer rate was more at $165.95.
Even a person using the cloud should backup their cloud pictures on to a hard drive to keep at home as a backup or put in an old suitcase in the attic.

Well that is my prediction. Only the future will know if I right or wrong.

Roy