Re: the Next Big Thing

While being able to play with DoF after the fact sounds appealing, this doesn't look like the camera to do it for me

just looking at their website https://www.lytro.com/camera I see an example pic of an 'out of focus' situation, showing the standard HUGE depth of field found with tiny sensors... horrible. and that's supposed to be with the constant f2 lens.

I'm intrigued by the concept, optics are fascinating, but after the looking hard at telecentricity and telecentric lenses for a while I just ended up with a headache, and there's a lot more written about that than this new device. They offer some background to it here: https://www.lytro.com/science_inside
(awful lens diagrams!)

Oh well, I guess since consumer cameras drive the market, we may eventually see something wit a bigger sensor but i'm not holding my breath.

PS: I'm still much happier with touching up a print from a damaged negative that trying to rebuild a damaged data file ;)