COMMENTS: PF members exhibit on 09-17-11

Thanks to the staff for making the images available each week. I always hate
to do this task as I feel so inadequate on the critique of images. That
feeling made me think that it is time to ask the group for some suggestions
on improving my skills in this area. What books, resources or exercises
would you recommend to become better at giving feedback on photographs?

My feeble attempt for this week is below.

Hans Klemmer - 	I like that this image has no title. It made me look deeper.
It looks like they are students and might even be taking notes. The
expressions of the students and their posture add interest.

John Retallack - Larry 	Nice portrait. Good expression and catch light. Says
a lot about Larry.

Emily L. Ferguson - Schooner Alabama's topsail crew 	Interesting use of
lines. I would have liked for the more solid horizontal pole to meet the
line coming down. Seems they go cut off at a crucial point and I keep
getting my attention drawn there.

Bob Turner - Noah's new scarf Lovely portrait. I like the mood, the color
and the soft scarf. Great eyes. This image works for me.

D.L. Shipman - Busy work   Great color and action. I don't find the busy
background to be too much of a distraction. I am drawn to the energy of the
horse, rider and calf.

Lea Murphy - Edyn with blocks, thirteen and a half months 	Sweet baby
portrait. I like the concentration of the baby on the blocks. The soft
colors add to the mood. I really like that the baby is not looking up. Did
the parents like that?

Christopher Strevens - Run down railway in Hungary 	Nice leading lines
and mood with the cloudy sky. The object to the right of the tracks almost
looks like a cross. I assume it is not meant to be that. Made me stop and
think.

John Palcewski - Leaves    I like the colors and textures in the image.
Seems a bit busy on the right side. But might be come to fixed and formal if
those elements were removed from the scene.

Okay, I am open to suggestions and read to learn more.

Rene

Rene Hales
3072 Roundway Down Lane
Lexington, KY 40509-8522