Subject: Re: Psychological Motives for Pursuing Photography
From: Herschel Mair <herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, August 30, 2011 11:33 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I wanted to study music and my family wanted me to be an architect... I
studied photography. The faculty was in the printing and lithography
department. It was "The British way" - Professionalism and know-how
above all else. The old debate about "Art" hardly entered the equation.

I'm not dealing with truth at all. It's such a vague abstract.... your
truth my truth our truth... and changeable. I don't believe photographs
are capable of translating what we feel or what we see truthfully. They
will almost always trigger a different and personal experience for every
viewer. The viewer feels and sees from his own life and experience.

"We see things not as they are but as we are." Einstein

I am motivated by two dynamics. I take pictures to sell stuff and I
take pictures to please myself.

The former is done to other people's specifications mostly. I shoot to
please an art director or a client etc...

The latter is done to satisfy an urge to play with light and perhaps to
collect... To find images that fit into my projects so that they tell a
better story and are visually more pleasing.

I almost never shoot stuff that I don't "Need" for a project. What would
I do with a pretty sunset? I love them as much as the next man and
sometimes the light is so beautiful it turns me inside out. But I am not
tempted to reach for a camera. I don't take gear with me when I go on
vacation.
For over 25 years now, photography has been work. Work that I love to
do, but work nevertheless.

Herschel