Re: Psychological Motives for Pursuing Photography

It's like shooting hoops; you throw the ball up...sometimes it's an airball, sometimes a backboarder and sometimes a swish.

You never know precisely which you're going to get but you keep tossing the ball hoping for a bucket.

For me it's the physical act of photographing that I love...seeing the image in my viewfinder, deeply held breath, feeling my finger press the shutter, hearing it trip and KNOWING it's the shot. It's such a deep knowing that I don't even know how I know it. But I do. And that feeling coupled with knowing I can make it happen again and again (but certainly not every time) is a huge part of why I photograph.

I also love the creative process of photography...the computer, the tidy organization of my file structure, the hands-on work it takes to create a print, the endless possibilities that digital affords.

Does anything I do reveal Truth. Ha. The more I photograph and manipulate images the more I know my photography reveals all sorts of things BUT truth. They reveal my mood, my whims, my level of expertise, my ideas at the time I created the image or the print but are any of those Truth? I don't think so. But then again, I'm not trying to reveal Truth, I'm trying to show what I saw, what I felt, what I felt about what I saw.

No matter how clean and well-spotted a print is, it's still not Truth unless it is simply the truth that a particular photographer is meticulous in his work.

Interesting subject matter,

Lea

On Aug 30, 2011, at 1:29 PM, John Palcewski wrote:

> I’m working on a piece on the topic of the various psychological
> motives that draw people into serious photography.  After a lot of
> reflection, I’m aware of a few of my own, but I’d be most interested
> in hearing some insights from others.
>
> I got the idea to pursue this the other day when I was revisiting
> “O’Keeffe & Stieglitz:  An American Romance,” by Benita Eisler.   I
> was particularly struck by these sentences by Eisler:
>

> Photography, if not truth, in Alfred Stieglitz's life seems an
> inevitability.  In its complex fusion of the technical and aesthetic,
> of process and practice, "seeing" and intuition, art and craft, the
> making of pictures with his new machine embraced both psychological
> need and expressive impulse.
>
> Conferring the illusion of control (a piece of the world reduced,
> arranged, and contained in a little black box), photography leaves the
> power drive and fragile ego structure of the narcissist intact:  the
> photographer is the metaphysical magician who, disappearing under his
> black hood (and, for Stieglitz, under his black loden cape as well),
> emerges to mystify and demystify at will.
>
> Of equal importance, the process of the work legitimizes the demands
> of the obsessive-compulsive personality.  In the trial and error
> method necessitated by primitive equipment, the photographer could
> reasonably shoot the same wall over and over; he could wash, rewash,
> and wash again the heavy glass plates, cleansing them of
> imperfecctions no one else could ever see.  He could then "spot" the
> print, chemically removing, speck by speck, any trace of impurity that
> had remained hidden on the plate.  What emerged, after the plate was
> dry, the print perfect--as Alfred occasionally announced one of his
> efforts to be--would seem nothing less than Truth, revealed and
> recorded for all time.
>

> So I’d be happy—and grateful—to hear some reactions to this, as well
> as anything else that occurs to the PhotoForum membership.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JP

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com