Re: First Photographic Emulsions Exposure Time?

Kostas,
I think Niepce' famous photograph was an 8 hour exposure onto a plate coated with Bitumen of Judea...

On 26 Aug 2011, at 21:06, Kostas Papakotas wrote:

Hi all! I need some help with this.
What were the average exposure time of the first photographic emulsions?

Few days ago I noticed something interesting in the “Genious of Photography” documentary.
The said emulsions exposure time was so long that people on the streets barely registered on the film, if they did at all.
I plan on duplicating it with modern means but I need a reference point. I guessimate 2 minutes? Or is this too long?

BTW let’s assume that lighting conditions are late afternoon of a sunny day.

Thanks beforehand, Kostas

No matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...

kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
http://clenchedteethphoto.multiply.com