Re: PF members exhibit 06-04-11

On 06/04/2011 04:46 AM, ADavidhazy wrote:
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated June 4,
2011. Authors with work now on display at:
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

> Yoram Gelman - Pigs at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY

Well, certainly, the nose makes the picture for me. Well caught. The
picture is sort of a messy jumble to begin with, but finding the nose is
a nice surprise. I wish the background in the upper right was a bit more
out of focus (or perhaps darker?), because my eye keeps going up there
for no good reason. The upper left feeding trough at an angle just adds
to the chaotic feeling, so I think it's good there. Although, as an
experiment, you could crop out everything except for the pigs. It might
become an abstract with a nose popping out. The pigs are well exposed,
in both senses of the word.

> Dan Mitchell - Dried Hogweed

Nice depth of field, and nicely exposed and focused. There isn't too
much else to catch my eye, though; the background is too dark to lend
much interest.

> Sherie Taylor - Hall way

I like hallways, too, but for me, this one isn't particularly striking.
The columns and the light is nice, however. In this sort of picture, I
think it is critical that the horizontals are perfectly level; this one
is a bit tilted. Part of the reason is that your lens is producing some
distortion on the ceiling; the far end is closer to level.

> John Palcewski - Oh, Deer!

Well, it's a nice meeting of the watcher and the watched. I think this
picture could use a bit more post-processing to make it look less like a
simple snapshot. Perhaps more saturation of the colors, or perhaps
turning the whole think into B&W.

> Don Roberts = Photographer

There are two pictures here that I'd like to see better. The first is
that I'd like to see the photographer's face; I have a feeling that his
patient frustration (or frustration with his patients) might have been
interesting. The other would be a closer view of the mother watching the
assistant (or someone) fix up whoever is on the chair. This looks like a
nice moment. You did capture it, but it's too far away for me to fully
see the emotion of the woman's face. If youi have enough pixels, and if
it is sharp enough, you could try an extreme crop.

> Rene M Hales - One Greenway Tree in Brown

I think I need more contrast in this shot. The IR has pretty much
obliterated all the detail, with just the trunk remaining. Perhaps if
the grass was slightly darker than the leaves on the tree, instead of
the other way around. This picture probably looks a lot better larger,
where the details can be seen more easily.

> Pini Vollach-

These sort of scenes are extremely difficult to meter well, and usually
benefit from a graduated neutral density filter to keep the detail in
the shadows, and the water from blowing out. You can even buy a cokin ND
grad filter and just hold it in front of the lens. I like the photo, but
perhaps even burning in the water, and dodging the cliff (or using curve
layers with masks) might improve it.

Andrew

--
http://andrewsharpe.com