Re: PF members exhibit on 5/21/11

On 05/21/2011 06:38 AM, ADavidhazy wrote:
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated MAY 21,
> 2011. Authors with work now on display at:
> http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

> D.L. Shipman - Rodeo
Nice composition and good colors. It's sharp, and that's good, but I'd
like to see a bit of movement blur. Panning might have helped. They are
probably going pretty fast, based on the angle.

> John Palcewski - Curious
Not a very attractive scene, to me, and not very interesting. You may
not have intended the one thing that does strike me about this picture;
the arrow on the newspaper is prominently pointing to the fellows rather
rotund stomach.

> Trevor Cunningham - the future
I like this, in an odd sort of way. The angle of the wires give the
picture some tension. I keep feeling that the words on the sign (which
is the main idea here), should be slightly lower than the wire so that
they aren't obscured. A slightly different camera position would put
them on a junction of thirds, and also could eliminate some of the
sky, which doesn't seem necessary. That different position could have
landed you in the middle of a busy street, so this is still a great job
of catching a moment. I don't know if the lensbaby-type of blur was
necessary, but of course, it does make the sign the subject.

> Emily Ferguson - Dudley turns 80
Dudley is well lit and looks happy. It would have been great to use a
slightly larger aperture and get the background folks more out of focus.
In particular, the sitting woman has a rather dour look on her face,
which seems to dampen the celebratory atmosphere. You could also crop a
small bit off the top of the frame (just leaving just a bit of the
railing on the upper right); the light up there is distracting.

> Michael Hughes - Hurdygurdy man
Originally, I didn't like the composition: the moving hand is too close
to the edge, and the background is a lot of nothing. But after looking
some more, I do like the moment you captured; it is a child's curiosity.
If there was some way that you could slight darken or blur the
background without losing detail in the boy's head, I think it might help.

> Dan Mitchell - Twins
This is slightly amusing, but not very engaging. It's not a particularly
flattering picture, and it might have been stronger if the doppelganger
was looking at you instead of the real one. And perhaps closer to the
mirror. Lighting is a bit odd; looks washed out. An example why
sometimes, having a bit more control over the exposure and white balance
might be useful.

> Sherie Taylor - Lady Statue
A nice documentary, but not too much else. A more interesting angle
would help, and it looks like your camera was fooled by the light behind
the statue; the statue itself is underexposed (except for the specular
reflections). A cloudy day would have made this easier to meter.

Andrew

--
http://andrewsharpe.com