Re: Wacom Bamboo

I use a Bamboo, entirely for cursor control. I cannot use a mouse because I get carpal tunnel from them and they're a ludicrously poor concept.

I also use a trackball, have used one since my first mac in 1994,

The trackball concept is best realized when the ball is not very large and you have a good number of buttons which you can program to do the most common operations.

The pad is good for very precise movements when you use the pen. The touchpad part is, to me, only useful for big movements and I find the Bamboo very crude for those, so I don't use it that way either. Fingertips just can't be places at the exact point at which a crop is to begin, or to sketch in a mask area.

But for those who are completely adjusted to the gross movements on the little trackpad on the laptop, the Bamboo is probably great.

Another thing about the Bamboo, or other Wacom tablet - because the tablet in touch mode is sensitive to any touch, one must hold ones hand above the active area - suspended up in the air. Exhausting on arm muscles and irrational to me.

So the smallest Bamboo is better than a bigger one. It permits one to rest ones hand on the inactive bezel around the active part of the pad.

In fact, I use only half of my Bamboo because reaching across the entire 7" tablet area is too far for my hand rested on the bezel.

Fortunately, Wacom's control software allows one to define the active area on the pad.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx