Film scanners?

I have been asked by my local historical society to recommend film scanners so they can accomplish their mission more efficiently.  So far I am doing their scans; no problem either way but they would like to be able to do their own for efficiency.  A Google search leads to a lot of commercial sites without a great deal of pertinent information.  What do you folks use?  We need flatbed as well as film including some large format.  As you might expect cost is an issue with them.  Any recommendations?  In a pinch I can continue to do the large format films but it would be best to have one unit to handle everything for them.
Don