RE: Need Much Help - Karl

There is nothing wrong with Photoshop 6, I still use mine every day. I also use xp. I doubt if I could learn more recent versions. Anyway I have no money.

Chris

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 08 March 2011 3:52 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: RE: Need Much Help - Karl

Well if you are going to re learn an old photoshop Shyrell, if the budget allows it there is an alternative.  No you don't need to upgrade to the current CS5 (or is it 6 now?  seems every time I upgrade the new edition comes out) but now there is an alternative that is much lower cost.  When you bought PS6  Photoshop Elements didn't exist.  They did have Adobe Photo Deluxe, but it was far far less useful.  Elements has most of the tools of a full version on Photoshop, including a number of really big time savers.  IIRC it doesn't do 16 bit images, but for most that is not a problem.

Not long ago, Adobe made a change.  When you bought PS6, as long as you had a legally licensed version of PS you could upgrade to the current version regardless of how old what you were using happened to be.  Now I think they will only allow an upgrade if you are using CS2 or later, which means you will likely have to buy the full version at hundreds of dollars.  Photoshop Elements runs about $80 or so for the current version and many pieces of hardware have it included.  Some scanners and printers have it included in the box.  If you have something that needs upgrading and the budget allows, you might can find a two fer kind of deal.

For all you married guys out there there are 3 ways to get out of trouble when you buy something without asking the spouse.

Reason number 1  It was ON SALE honey.   This works well for relatively small overages.

Reason number 2. It was ON CLEARANCE.   Add in they only had one left for a nice occasional touch.  It works for those times when you don't think on sale will work.

Reason number 3.  It's For YOU.   This is really the only sure fire way to get out of trouble, and this too has its limits.  You can not get away with giving your wife a welding torch unless she can weld.  You might get away with a tool, but only if its used to build her something.  Trouble is you really have to build it.  If the spouse is also a photographer, a lens is a piece of cake.  Trouble is mine isn't.

This approach works for ladies too.  Just remember not to try to use reason number three for a pair of Jimmy Choo or Christian Louboutin's.  If it works, well lol