Re: making a pinhole

In 1997, I bought a set of eleven pin holes ranging in diameter from 0.099 to 0.701 mm from Pinhole Resource, Star Route 15 Box 1355, San Lorenzo NM 88041.  They are drilled in thin monel sheets.  I don't know if they're still in business.  I mounted the smallest one on a Canon body Cap with a 1/4" hole drilled in its center and taped the 0.099 pinhole on the outside.  I haven't done much with it and can't locate any photos I may have taken.  I'll try again in a few days.

BTW, Canon SLR bodies have a small circle with a horizontal line through it.  This marks the location of the film (or sensor) plane and is 50 mm from the lens mounting flange.  You need this information to determine the optimum hole diameter.  The distance from the flange to the surface of the body cap is 6.4 mm, so mounting the pinhole there gives a focal length of 56.4 mm.  On Karl's chart this yields an f-stop of about 525 for a 0.1 mm pinhole, close to the green wave length line.

David's suggestion (below) is a good one if you're going to make your own pin hole.

There was a lot of discussion of this topic on the list in Spring 1997.

Roger