Re: a simple model release

On Jan 14, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Herschel Mair wrote:

> Where can I get a simple but effective model release for a minor?
> I shot some high school kids in the studio for a brochure I'm making
> promote senior portraits and I want parents to sign off on them.

"Joe Blow may use the photos he took of my son Billy last Saturday in any
way for any legal purpose" seems to cover most of it.  (I do prefer the
dual-signature forms, where the model signs for themselves and THEN the
parent also gives permission, if the models are old enough to have a
strong opinion and to sign their names.)

> Who's got experience with this stuff? The ASMP one seems a tad too
> complex and may scare off the parents.

This may be the most complete one I've seen.
<http://asmp.org/tutorials/adults-model-release.html> Wait, sorry, you
were looking for a LESS scary version!  (That's the adult form, but the
minor form is mostly just adding text and signature lines to the end.)

I think I understand why pretty much each appalling clause is present.
And when they're done lumping them all together, I don't think *I'd* sign
it.

One thing that really bothers me is that it appears to authorize the use
of random street snaps taken 5 years later for advertising campaigns; it
doesn't seem to be limited to the current modeling engagement.

(The one that took me longest to understand is the permission to associate
your real name with the photo in the context of product promotion.  In the
absence of that clause, you have to obsessively keep the real name
associated with the photo for all time, so that people can be sure not to
use it!  Unfortunately, that clause prevents my using some friends who
would be willing for many purposes as models; they have a name that's of
some public significance, and/or employment where they *can't* commit
their name to advertising campaigns.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info