Nikon D700 connection to computer

Title: Nikon D700 connection to computer
Hello, I have a question regarding the new Nikon D700 I just bought.

I need to shoot straight to a laptop and can't seem to make it work. On my old D200 there is a section in the menu where you have to select "Mass storage" for shooting to memory card, or "PTP" for shooting straight to the computer. There is no such facility on the D700.

If I plug the D700 into my computer it is recognized by the computer (in “Nikon Transfer”) but it doesn’t actually transfer...it just sits and waits in a cue
until you click ‘transfer’. I don’t understand why it doesn’t give me the option to download straight to the computer, and view them as I go. Is it the software, or have I got to select something in the camera controls first? I’ve trawled through the handbook but so far can’t find anything which explains what is wrong.

I have two days work at the end of this week photographing graduations, and the company for whom I'm free lancing will provide a laptop with their own software, so if it’s the Nikon software which is the problem then it shouldn’t matter... But just to be on the safe side, if any one knows the answer, it would be a great weight off my mind!

Thanks,
Jonathan.
--
Jonathan Turner