Re: Mac Backup

Time Machine backs up to a locally located drive, but has not yet been updated to back up to a remote drive, like in the cloud for instance.

It is an integral part of Leopard(X.5), Snow Leopard(X.6) and will be of the new Lion which won't be out for another 6-8 months.

It is well designed and transparent but to work optimally requires an external drive at least 3-4 times the capacity of ones internal drive.

It can be instructed to backup files on external drives as well, although, depending on how you have it talking to your computer, can take a very long time if you have many externals. It will work with any drive port incl. eSATA if its and your computer's ports permit.

If you choose to use Time Machine, I strongly recommend you purchase a drive which at a minimum can use Firewire 800. USB is inefficiently designed for backup and Firewire 400 is too slow for the now average 320-500Gig drives coming in current Macs.

Time Machine does not make a bootable backup.

My thoughts on using the cloud for backup are pretty negative. They revolve around the instability of suppliers of cloud space, the amazingly high prices they charge and the slowness of internet access, and FTP speed, in US national networks. I also have copyright and personal privacy concerns. Perhaps, if you maintain your own personal cloud you might consider using it.

And if your tidyness instinct is highly developed.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx