Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 5524

On Tue, September 28, 2010 03:36, Dan Mitchell wrote:

>>> It was a work-in-progress. See my new version at ?
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/danmdan/4443033272/
>>
>> I definitely like that better.
>

> It is amazing what can be done, now we have digital photography.  Version
> 2 was obtained from version 1 using Photoshop Elements 8 in an Apple Mac.
> Changes that I could never have done using film.  I have no problem with
> doing this - to me it is the end result which is all important, not the
> equipment or the intermediate processing. To paraphrase a well known
> saying - " ? from today all film photography is dead"  :-)

A lot of these things are things that could be and were done in the
darkroom -- but only for high-end advertising printing, or by people
working for the really top artists.  I knew about contrast masks for
taming prints from color slides, for example, but I never even tried to
use them (the barrier of making a printing project into a multi-day effort
was more than I could climb; though, if you use masks at all frequently,
you can devote a session to making a batch of masks, and the next session
or two to printing using them, and not actually have spent that much extra
time).

And now I can do them in 5 minutes at my computer, and I, too, am very happy!
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info