RE: 8" CMOS sensor from Canon

Well I would suspect cost not storage will keep any LF user in film.  Storage these days is relatively cheap, but the cost of that sensor is likely to exceed the GDP of many states and some countries.

Now what they learn from making that will likely one day filter down to something more practical and cost effective for us, but that's likely down the road a piece.  Just as we got the rear view mirror on our cars from auto racing,  this kind of project can not be anything but helpful
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 8" CMOS sensor from Canon
From: Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, September 01, 2010 6:44 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/canon-develops-worlds-largest-cmos-sensor-shoots-60fps-video-i/

"Did you ever think that you'd see a CMOS sensor measuring 202 x 205 mm? That's 7.95 x 8.07 inches to our fine imperial friends. Its impressive size -- about 40 times larger than Canon's largest commercial CMOS sensor -- translates to staggering light-gathering capabilities, capturing images in one one-hundredth the amount of light required by a professional DSLR. Better yet, the sensor is matched by new circuitry allowing for video capture at 60fps in just 0.3 lux of illumination (think full moon on a clear night). Unfortunately, the press release is more concerned with promoting Canon's engineering prowessthan with product launch. Nevertheless, we're impressed."

just a little something for the LF shooters to drool over

though I suspect the silver film V sensor/storage costs issue will keep LF shooters ramaining with their feet firmly in the film camp ;)

Karl