RE: 2010 Book

I would say thought was possible without language and photography involves a thought process without words. We express ourselves with images.

I recall that when I was about 22, I lost my languages due to a head injury but I could still reason. In fact I had no knowledge of language and when I heard talking is sounded like the cooing of birds or the sounds animals made. Not speech at all. I could read still however and had some knowledge of writing. I think I must have read the pictures and diagrams, not the written word. They took the books away from me because it seemed I did not understand. They thought I was terribly deficient. Then my wife (who was a nurse for this sort of thing) taught me international sign language. Then, after she left me because I was deficient, some other young women I lived with looked after me and I picked up language from them.

I recall how I worked out that the sounds they made had words and the words were attached to actions and things or people. It was some time before I found out that the shapes I saw were tables, chairs and people and then that the people were young women of my age and again someone I could sleep with – but that came years later. I learned by moving my hand round the objects and relating it to what I saw. The same for the people.

So thoughts are objects in the mind and concepts usually about relationships between objects.

The structures that related to these concepts were still in my brain and so I had to reattach them to the things they related to.

Before my head injury, I understand recovery involved growing a new brain, I spoke languages other than English. One of the languages I lost was mathematics and symbolic logic. However I did not lose the capacity for mathematics or logic but just had to learn all the symbols and concepts. However I found setting up a physics system as a mathematical model very difficult to relearn whereas I used to find this easy.

Now after further psychiatric treatment I found the mathematics course I was taking impossible so I withdrew. I have asked for me fees refunded by the hospital with other damages.

So when I took up photography again it helped me reacquire the intellectual skills I had.

By they way I have re-grown other parts that I lost through surgery. I won’t go into details but this capacity runs in the family. However we tend to die around 70. I’m 67. --- 3 years to go!

There is no language without thought and so photography is a language an _expression_ of thought.

Chris