RE: Anybody have experience with Tamron?

VR, IS or whatever you want to call it works more efficiently at lower focal lengths simply because there’s less magnification of the subject. This even affects things like macro photography, where you have a 105mm Nikkor lens that’s got VR technology. The lens works very well under normal shooting conditions with the VR technology, but much less so when the lens is in a high magnification setting (typically around 1:4 or greater). In these instances, it becomes very difficult for the lenses to have enough movement to compensate for the much more apparent shake due to the higher magnification.

Hope this helps.

Mark Lent

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:46 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Anybody have experience with Tamron?

Thanks for the comments.    It looks like a Tamron is in my future.....

One more question:  I think I know the answer, no.   Is the VC which seems to be Tamron's answer to IS, worthwhile at the 17-50mm range?

Thanks again,
Bob

Bob wrote:

Does anyone have experience with Tamron lenses?  I am thinking about the SP 17-50 f/2.8  XR  Di II LD and possibly the
SP 17-50 f/2.8  XR  Di II VC LD.

I'm wondering about the usual things, build quality and  optical performance.

I have the Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L and it worked well on my EOS-3 and 20D but  I'm wondering about the results with my 50D......

Thanks.
Bob

--

                           /////