Re: PE gallery 03-13-10 very much OT

In a message dated 21/03/2010 14:54:11 GMT Standard Time, trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I teach my economics students that research finds direct
correlation between environmental quality and per-capita GDP.
Might be better to tell them that generally speaking the conservationist already has his house in the forest.

I would venture to suggest that New Zealand is high on environmental quality and relatively low on GDP.

If your definition of environmental quality includes such things as effective sanitation and clean water supplies then there is good historical evidence for these being developed as a result of concentrations of population  drawn together by the possibility of finding work.

In the UK the industrial revolution brought about large textile towns, cholera outbreaks and then improvement in sanitation and water supply to ensure the survival of the units of labour aka working class people.

Michael